Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mindless TV Has Got Me Thinking

After my 2 client appointments today I decided to come home and rest my brain. The first appointment left me a tad frustrated. I am a real estate agent and have been for the last 12 years. Now, I know back in the early 2000s we were making a killing and everyone and their mother was getting into real estate. This ticked me off because I was doing business with real estate agents who had NO CLUE what they were doing, and got in to make a quick buck. All of them have since left the business because they finally realized that you need a brain and strong work ethic to stay in this business. Not only that, but it actually TAKES money to MAKE money since we are all responsible for our own marketing and advertising.

My point of the above rambling is that my first appointment told me that she was thinking of working with a Lender who also sold real estate (can't stand people who do both, nor do I trust them) who promised to split his commission with her by more than half. Then she tells me that she wants to continue working with me and indirectly asked me to split my commission with her. Uh... NO!!!!!!!

First of all, I'm sure you wouldn't work at a place that TOLD you they were taking 50% of your income just because they were doing you a favor and employing you. Second of all, you are NOT a licensed real estate agent, it is against the California Department of Real Estate rules and regulations that you receive monetary compensation in ANY real estate transaction. Sorry babe, but this is my career and only form of employment, and I'd like to keep my real estate license. Third, all the time, gas, access to information and property, and experience all come at an expense that is solely my responsibility. My broker does not reimburse me for ANY expense or my time. Lastly, I, like you, am a single mother. How DARE you ask that of me?!

Bleh.

I HAD to come home and watch mindless TV programming to get my head out of that funk. Food Network here I come!!! Shows on yummy sushi, ultimate meatballs and spaghetti, yum, yum, yum. But this mindless TV thing has got me thinking... I need a personal chef.

One can dream :)

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could be a personal chef... I am kind of to my boyfriend. He puts up with the over consumption of wine during my cooking.. an employer probably wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how some people think that they should profit off of someone else's hard work. I am glad you put her in her place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough business... hopefully this season of starvation will thin out the ne'er-do-wells and you'll catch the big wave coming out of the recession.
    In red wine and chocolate there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even recall who this client was. Probably means we stopped working with each other.

    Speaking of wine and chocolate, there is a Wine and Chocolate Festival coming up in February near me. It's in Lodi, California... the place of Zinfandel. If you've ever heard of 7 Deadly Zins, Gnarly Wine or Van Ruiten, that's the town they come from. http://www.lodiwineandchocolate.com/participating-wineries

    ReplyDelete