Friday, March 25, 2011

Adventures in Wine

Gone are the days of $100+ bar tabs. The occasional trip out for drinks or socializing has to count. San Francisco was once a weekly trip, now I might visit a few times a year. Wine tasting is almost sacrilege, being that we are a mere 40 minutes from Napa & Sonoma Valley.

In any case, we are making the best of what we have. The county I live in is known for its agriculture. My neck of the woods is known for apples, corn and cherries and is now adding grape vineyards and olive trees to make a realistic profit off land.

Back in the good ol' days (early 2000s), Brentwood's first Wine Bar opened in our downtown area. It was definitely a place to lounge and dip your toe in the world of wine. Over the last few years, it has switched owners and been re-vamped into a new kind of wine hangout.

This bottle of Educated Guess caught my eye while taking refuge in the wine bar from the sweltering heat of the Farmer's Market. I'm a math nerd, so I was drawn to the bottle like a moth to a flame. I have yet to try the wine.

I can't remember when I took this picture. I'm sure it was my first night back after not having been at the wine bar in a couple years.
This wine flight is all local wines. My favorite was Bloomfield's Devil's Daughter. The point of this picture was to remind myself to make this table. Most of the tables in the wine bar are wine barrels with glass tops. Each table is filled with different items. This one with the corks is my favorite.

The local vitners are banding together to get an appellation for their own wine label.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE your new set up. Looks awesome! I'm not a wine drinker, but i should try it sometime huh? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun tasting wine, whether you do it at home or out. Don't be intimidated by it. When you have the right food, cheeses or sweets to go with it the experience is that much better. Will have to bring you along some time!

      Delete
  2. I like wine bars, too. Nothing up here like the one you describe (you have more traffic, so more wines can be opened for glass pour. We're a backwater here). Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice little spot to gather with friends or listen to live music. The farm town I grew up in is making strides in encouraging local entrepeneurs and becoming a destination spot outside of the greater Bay Area. It's nice to be able to find great food and entertainment without driving 30-40 minutes away.

      Delete